No strings attached

Last night I took the guide strings off the planter box. The string that I used wasn’t meant for outsideness and it kept stretching and was starting to look a nasty colour. While I could keep winding it tighter with sticks, or replacing it, it seemed like there ought to be a better alternative now that the planter was full.

I settled on using bamboo since we have so much of it, and it looks a lot better. In between the big plants, I dropped in small stakes to deter digging and left a net over the smaller seedlings until they’re big enough to see. Next time I’ll drop stakes in before I plant, and it’ll be a lot easier.

The cherry tomatoes on the right have really taken off in the last few days, I guess they love that heat we’ve been having. The beans (far left) and doing well with the exception of one very, dead, plant at the bottom left. I was going to transfer a healthy one to that spot to make it all organised, but I think it’s best to leave things be if they’re doing well. Instead, I’ll lift the dead bean and replace it with the rogue pea that I found last week. It won’t be perfecting organised but as long as it’s all growing, that’s what counts.

The little splashes of colour in the photo are the coloured pipe cleaners I’ve been using to hold things on stakes. Red for tomatoes, obviously, and um.. white on the beans and orange on the pea for no reason other than I like those colours.

Planter 20170511

It’s a lot cooler today, back down into the early 90s though it’s still very hazy from that swamp fire. I’m hoping we get some good rain and the wind will drop soon.

Here’s the planter just over 2 weeks ago. Yay for things growing! Seeing the comparison like this is making me feel pretty pleased with myself, even though it’s the plants and sunshine doing all the hard work.

20170425_122651_zpsyum4fyfm

Planter 20170425

Advertisements

A Case of Mistaken IdentiPea

I’m such a noob! What I though was Rosemary turned out to be another Pea popping up. I’m reusing the pots that I had my first batch of seeds in and, I guess, one little pea decided to grow after all it’s siblings had moved on. I think there is actually a teeny, tiny, rosemary seedling though.. but it could just as easily be a weed.

On the left, we have “Not Rosemary” aka Pea.. and on the right, “Maybe Rosemary” aka perhaps a weed.

Something has been digging little holes in the dirt and I can’t tell what’s doing it. Chances are, it’s one of the squirrels or birds in the yard. There’s no moisture or nasty surprises so I don’t think it’s cats. Either way, I’ve added extra stakes between the plants in the hope that it might be too pointy and cause inconvenience for digging critters.

We had a large amount of smoke from the swamp fire yesterday and we were still getting random orange sunshine at times. The windy conditions have been making that fire worse so, hopefully, we get some proper rain soon.

Smoky skies today

I was going to get stuck into making the second planter, and some kinda frame for the cucumbers today… until I went outside and saw the strange orange colour of the light out there. Overnight, the wind has driven the smoke from the West Mims fire (in the Okefenokee swamp) over Jacksonville. It’s quite windy today and the combination of it all lends itself to quite an apocalyptic effect outside. I couldn’t quite capture it with the camera, but it reminded me of the neat coloured sunsets we would get in NZ when Mt Pinutubo erupted.

 

I did get the beans staked, and added some support for the peas too as they’re starting to curl up with each other (cute, but the wrong direction.) After the rain the other day, I lost 2 bean plants but, conveniently, I had 2 rogues grow in a pot that I had thought was empty so I moved them over. It’s good to find a use for all that bamboo in the garden.

 

 

Since it’s not really good breathing weather outside, I guess I’ll just have to play inside instead.  Watch out monsters, here I come!!